Monday, December 28, 2009

People You Meet Along The Way - Percy Sutton

You know it is interesting to stop every now and then and think about all the people you have met along the way and the words they said and how they impact you in your life. I have been fortunate to sit in the audience and hear famous people speak like Margaret Thatcher, George Bush Sr., Colin Powell and while it is impressive to hear famous people talk it is hard to connect.

However, over ten years ago my wife and I took a cruise to Alaska and I got the opportunity to meet Percy Sutton and his wife.

He said that his children had given this to cruise to both of them as a gift for their anniversary. I remember correctly his wife had been involved in a traffic accident a week earlier and their luggage had some how gotten lost in the process of boarding. I can't help but think how this "fun trip" must had been a little bit of a nightmare for the both of them but they were composed and delightful to talk with.

My wife and I shared a table at dinner with the couple, just the four of us. At that time I did not realize he was famous or who he was but every night I remember enjoying the small talk and being mesmerized my his voice and what he said.

The subject of politics came up one night and I mentioned I might be interested one day in running for office. He smiled and gave me a piece of sage advice I'll never forget! He said: In dealing with politicians don't be too available. Because if you are you will get taken for granted.

Today I learned that Mr. Sutton died this past Sunday, December 27th. He was 89.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091227/ap_on_re_us/us_obit_percy_sutton

I would like to send my condolences to his family and friends. It was a honor to have met and talked with both him and his wife.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been looking at this site and have found it to be really helpful. I would really appreciate any assistance.

Anonymous said...

I have been looking at this site and find it to be really helpful. I would really appreciate any help.

Everyday Philanthropist said...

Go to www.nonprofitexpert.com and feel free to email me with any questions you have.